This DVD consists of five documentary films:
THE BEGINNING - GERMAN TROOPS DEPART FOR AFRICA (13 mins)
Private films depict the preparations of German troops for departure to the new front in Africa in 1941; the journey there and their arrival in Africa. No dialogue, but background military music all the way through to the end.
DER KAMPF IN AFRIKA (94 mins - in German with switchable English subtitles)
This 94 minute film consists of different Wochenschau newsclips about the Afrika Korps, among them:
- German fighters take off from Italy to secure an attack in North Africa
- German troops land in Tripoli and visit a local bazaar
- German transport planes assure delivery of supplies to the Afrika Korps
- A tent camp of the Afrika Korps
- The Germans and Italians take Benghazi
- The advance to El Agheila
- Tanks of the German Afrika Korps advance toward Tobruk
- The Germans surround Tobruk
- The Germans take Solun
- The Germans head for Sidi Barrani
- The Fuhrer awards Rommel the Ritterkreuz with Swords to the Iron Cross
- General Galland inspects an airfield in North Africa
- Oberstleutnant Marseilles gets his 87th kill
- The Afrika Korps and the Italians take Bir Hakeim
- Gazala is taken
- Tobruk is taken
- The British 8th Army retreats to the Libyan-Egyptian borders
GENERALOBERST ROMMEL UND SEIN AFRIKAKORPS (1942) (5 mins - hard encoded German subtitles; switchable English subtitles)
Short, 1942 documentary about the exploits of Rommel before he became a Field Marshal. There is no dialogue in the film; only music. The hard-encoded German subtitles are supplemented with switchable English subtitles.
COLLECTION OF AMERICAN VIDEOS FROM NORTH AFRICA (1943) (38 mins - in English)
Outstanding collection of various color films from American sources, shot in Africa in 1943. Most of the film has sound, but no talking, until about the end of the film, when a narrator describes the action.
THE END IN TUNISIA (10 mins.)
The contents of this film make it clear, that it was shot by American cameramen. No dialogue, but there is background music. Most of the film shows the end of the war for the Afrika Korps men in Tunisia.
DVD-R IS IN BOTH GERMAN AND ENGLISH AND HAS SWITCHABLE ENGLISH SUBTITLES WHEN APPROPRIATE.
QUALITY IS VARIABLE DEPENDING ON THE FILM SOURCE. RANGES FROM POOR TO VERY GOOD QUALITY.
APPROXIMATELY 160 MINUTES TOTAL.
PLEASE NOTE THAT SWITCHABLE (SOFT) SUBTITLES WILL NOT SHOW UP WHEN VIEWING THE SAMPLE BELOW. IF YOU SEE SUBTITLES, THEN THEY ARE HARD-ENCODED (meaning, they cannot be turned off when viewing the film):